Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Lesson in Humility

I've learned a lot about humility this week. While we talked about things like being a leader with a under-case l, and doing things to support and uplift the people around you, I kept being impressed by the knowledge that really, the best thing I can do to be a better leader is listen to that little voice that comes from God. 

The past few weeks I've gotten comfortable, and pretty content with my life. These are both dangerous places to be at, because if you aren't actively trying to move forward, you are moving backwards. And I have a responsibility to myself to be the best person I can be. That person isn't determined just by the things they accomplish, but the things they do to lift others up. 

The people I respect the most I respect because of the positive effect they have had on me and my loved ones. Their care and their sincerity really is what draws me to them, and I want people to be drawn to me in the same way. 

I've been trying to get a little direction lately, and haven't had much luck. That's kind of new to me because I'm used to having a clear course put before me. I started doubting my dreams and my goals and even began to question the wisdom of trying to start my own business. The idea scared me (still does actually), and I wasn't sure I could do it. 

But then something changed. I failed a test that I thought I'd do well in, didn't lose as much weight as I thought I should, and didn't have the kind of social life I wanted. I wasn't succeeding. I turned to the Lord, asking why I couldn't do it, why things weren't working out. That's when I realized what the problem was, the same problem with this blog post....there's too many "I"s, too much of me. 

The Lord was trying to get into my life to reassure me, and I had been focused on my abilities. The truth is, on my own I don't have what it takes to be a business woman, but with God I do have it. While maybe I don't see it in me, God does. There's such a relief when, instead of, "what's the best path for me?", you say "where will I do the most good?". Then your priorities change. When our goal is to help others we will succeed. 

So this week I learned my duty isn't to be the top of the world, but to help put other people up there. 

Good week. I'm grateful that it happened!

-Shayla

No comments:

Post a Comment